Thursday, May 14, 2015

Week 7 Readings



This week, we had two readings, but one was really just diagrammed and there was also a longer reading by Flanagan et. al. that talked about Embodying Values in Technology. There were three main "steps" of how to integrate values into technology. (1) Discovery, (2) Translation, and (3) Verification.

Discovery is more the recognition of values that the designer wanted to address in the final product. What do you want the audience or consumer to think about? What do you want them to get from use or consumption? What are the issues at hand? Translation was figuring out the "how". How are you going incorporate your values into your product? How will it come through? How are you going to implement this? What is the plan? Verification is testing your product and checking it against the user population. How does it come across? Are the values embodied in the project? Are they coming through to the intended consumers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates on my project:

I just went in to the UW Makerspace in Fluke Hall (room 215) for the first time on Monday for training. I haven't gotten to use the space yet, but I've collected nearly all of the supplies that I'll need (just missing a lens and light). I am prepared to make the base of the project soon, once I can figure out the measurements that I want for the plexiglass and the drill holes I'll make in the wood. It's going to be a little bit different than the project detailed on Instructables, because I didn't get to get all of the exact same materials. Hardware stores are hard to get to when you don't know the area very well and you don't have a car. It was also frustrating finding that they didn't have the materials that I needed. (I was not too keen on buying a huge plank of alder wood and they didn't have anything in their scraps, as their saw was out of service).









No comments:

Post a Comment